In my last post, I talked about being aware of what you’re putting on your body and how it might be affecting your health. I figured that in this post, I’d give you an idea of the things that I’ve changed in my self-care routine so that you have a sense of how it all works.
- Oils are great moisturizers – You don’t need lotions with a million ingredients. You can use a one ingredient natural moisturizer right after you take a shower or bath. I use jojoba oil and coconut oil. Jojoba oil is supposedly the closest to our natural skin oils and coconut oil has antiseptic properties. Some people even use coconut oil as a deodorant. Both smell fantastic. You do have to leave a little bit of time for the oil to sink into your skin before you get dressed. Since I’m not the most patient person, I usually moisturize with oils at night and put cotton pajamas on and go to sleep. No worrying about getting my dry clean only clothes ruined and I wake up with great skin.
- Plain soap works for everything – I use a bar of plain soap from the co-op. Cheap, fragrance free, and it gets me clean. Fragrances are known for being hormone disrupters, so I try to keep those out of my self care products. I also use plain soap for my face every once in a while and will be using it for my hair when I finish the leftover shampoo.
- Less is more – My body is built to take care of itself, so the less I mess with it, the healthier it’ll be. I take fewer showers and shampoo my hair less. Less showering means less chlorine exposure and less oil stripping. As for shampooing, I’m hoping to find a regimen of apple cider vinegar and baking soda that works for my hair, but that hasn’t happened yet. Currently, I just use less shampoo and shampoo less frequently. I used to be a must shower everyday or I feel gross kind of person, but this more relaxed regimen has been good for me and my body. I have less problems with oiliness in my hair and skin than before.
- I don’t need makeup – I have never been a habitual makeup wearer, but these days when I look in the mirror, I’m happy with the way I look and makeup is the farthest thing from my mind. Of course, I do like to glam it up like any other girl if I’m going out, so I’m currently trying out natural makeup brands. Right now I’m experimenting with rms beauty. I bought an eye shadow of theirs. The girls in the store that I bought the shadow at all use rms beauty products and were enthusiastic about them. The girl helping me did up my face so I could get a sense of the products. My conclusion is that I don’t like any foundation or foundation like products. I’m hoping to try out the other products, but they are pricey, so one at a time.
- Sleep and water are necessary – I look my best if I’ve gotten enough sleep and been drinking plenty of water. Get these two things down and you’ll look great.
That’s pretty much it. At the end of the day, it’s plain soap, water, and oils. That’s all I really need. I might have missed something, so if you’re curious about whatever I missed, feel free to ask me in the comments or via e-mail.