**cross posted at Funny Eater**
You might have been thinking that this would be a super cool post. It’s really not that cool, but here we go.
My favorite stores in this universe include Target, Ikea, and Costco. I love other places, but that’s all you need to know for now. So I was shopping at Costco yesterday and realized that I go there because I can get things that I can’t get elsewhere and for a good price. Here is what I like to buy at Costco for my paleo eating:
1. fish (frozen and fresh) – tons of fresh fish options along with some seafood options usually. With frozen you have your pick of vacuum sealed filets of fish of all sorts. I try to make sure I buy a wild caught kind. Currently, I have wild salmon in the freezer.
2. sausages – lots of variety here. We bought a chicken apple sausage yesterday because I understood all the ingredients. We’re also trying to avoid nightshade family foods, so the roasted red pepper chicken sausage was not an option.
3. meat – most of it is conventional. (All you experience paleo eaters are probably cringing a little) However, they do carry some organic versions of meat. I’ve had organic ground beef from there and the flavor was good (and I really don’t like meat that much, so that’s saying something.). If you don’t mind conventional, you can save a lot of money buying meat at Costco. Just saying.
4. nuts – nuts! I love that you can buy huge bags of raw nuts that have no salt. The salted kind is always too salty for me. In fact, in pure funny eater style, I washed my salted marcona almonds and baked them dry in the toaster oven the other day. That’s right, I washed those almonds of their salt.
5. produce – personally I prefer to buy my produce from the farmer’s market. Tastes better. However, Costco does have a pretty amazing selection of fresh produce and if you’re feeding a lot of people, it’s a great deal. They even have organic options.
6. avocados – these are so expensive to buy any place else, so I love Costco for carrying them. I know they count as produce, but I think they deserve their own numbered item.
7. oils – wonderful olive oils and I’m sure other oils. They even carry organic olive oil now. Yay!
8. eggs – eggs. I eat a lot of them. Costco carries a lot of them. I like the organic kind. They also have omega 3 enriched, conventional, and probably a couple other options.
9. frozen shrimp – I like shrimp. They’re easy. Even though the shrimp isn’t wild caught, I buy the Kirkland frozen shrimp. Easy to use and much cheaper than the grocery store.
10. frozen scallops –
I like things to be even, so I gave frozen shrimp and scallop their own lines. Again, same as with the shrimp – easy to use.
**Edit: 11. coconut water – packaged in terra packs, you can’t go wrong with these handy hydrators. **
I think that about rounds it up. What are people’s favorite places to shop for paleo eats? What do other people buy at Costco??